DeSmuME 0.9.5 released!

Christmas is getting nearer and still haven’t found any gift ideas?
Don’t worry anymore, here’s the perfect present : a new DeSmuME release!

0.9.5 introduces an entirely rewritten main emulation loop
This totally changes the timing, and totally breaks old savestates.
The OSX build is now based on the GTK port which is more up-to-date.

Assorted Highlights:

• synchronous SPU mode to fix streaming sounds
  • win32: lua engine, path configuration, 7z dearchiving support

If you want to know more, you can read the complete press release.

394 Responses to “DeSmuME 0.9.5 released!”

1. Robin says:

What a pleasant surprise! :D

2. hamachi says:

i lov you

3. Yannis says:

Wow, thank you so much. A very pleasant surprise! My savestates may not work but I’ve just finished Ace Attorney (with the keyboard!) anyway. And Lua really seems to have been adopted by pretty much every single open-source gaming project, now hasn’t it?!

4. The Magician says:

I’ve been waiting for this time.

5. DottorLeo says:

Remember people to post the bug on the Desmume bugtracker on Sourceforge!

6. Patrice says:

Cool stuff. And in b4 christmas as well! Great job, guys.

7. shukr says:

where can i download it because in the download section is not posted :P

8. admin says:

Download page updated :)

9. XMSFel6 says:

A great day for a new release (Black Friday!!) Nice work guys we’re all supporting you.

10. Nut says:

Wo! I had been waiting for 4 months and now the release had come! Thanks a lot for this release!

11. DonCreech says:

I love you guys! In a beautiful but heterosexual way!

12. belch says:

i test all those roms that i have on the pc whit the new 0.9.5 but what a hell i lost alot of my save slot forget that i stay whit the same old 0.9.4 and there are too much settings to configure woot

13. aze says:

THANKS A LOT
    you’re the best

14. Nut says:

This release is the best release I had ever tried! I think this release 0.9.5 was a great successor to 0.9.4!

15. Delles says:

Why new version (0.9.5) can’t support old version (0.9.4) save slot (even the game own save files), is that anything we can do? (except to re-use old 0.9.4 version)

P/s I tested it in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days and it say “error loading slot #” (# mean number of the slot, exp: slot 1)

16. yok says:

r2991[support multiple game devices.]

PAD1(DPP+PS1PAD(Digital)) > (J0)Up~,(J0)Button1~
    PAD2(DPP+PS1PAD(Analog)) > (J0(!))Up~,(J1)Button1~

It’s a Bug???

17. Leo says:

I love the cool desmume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. zeromus says:

Delles, the faq tells you not to use save files instead of save slots. I recommend using the old version and then saving the game, then switching to the new version to load your in-game save.

yok, I can’t decipher what you are saying. You would need to explain your configuration in detail. Preferably in the form of a bug report.

19. yok says:

Sorry…SourceForge is too confusing.

Is there a bug in the key config of PAD2?
    It is recognized that the X-Y axis of PAD2 is (J0).
    Perhaps, the X-Y axis of PAD1 doesn’t work because of that.

From r2991.

20. Delles says:

zeromus, I used to load my game by in-game save before, but it seem like the new 0.9.5 version can’t detect the data (in-game save data, not Emulator save slot) from very beginning. (which is when loaded ROM to emulator)

P/s Sorry for bother you again. I will try other way to find out how to switch between them.

21. Delles says:

Zeromus, now I know the reason already.

The problem that causing that happen is because old 0.9.4 version save file (.dsv or .ds# files) is save in ROM folder, but the new 0.9.5 version is save in Emulator folder, it is why it can’t detect the save data.

Which is mean, we just need to cut (or copy if you wish to) and paste the save data to emulator folder, then the problem will fix~

If anyone have faces save data missing problem, you may try this out~ Belch you must try too~

22. zeromus says:

delles: alternatively you can try config > path settings

yok: there is always the chance that some weird gamepad configurations dont work, but you havent described your equipment so there is no way to verify it. There are no known bugs at this point.

23. g says:

i can’t use my controller.. i’d rather use that than the keyboard, how do i do that?

24. belch says:

what i don’t understand what you mean but don’t worry i got the problem its the path settings (config >path settings on desmume) that why you don’t get the save slot and game save. to my it’s hard and stupit to work whit that. fine now i need to understand how thats work.

25. belch says:

wow i didn’t notice what zeromus say first of that path settings

26. juef says:

Congratulations on this release! The changelog is quite impressive! I love it and have had no problem so far, so thank you very much, and keep up the great work!

27. Nut says:

Another cool thing I just discover is: since my version of Windows XP comes with Rocket doc, I can add desmume.exe to the launch toolbar and when I click on the desmume icon it will execute the emulator! That’s really cool! I do this so that I don’t have to navigate to the place where I kept the exe file. I can just start the emulator by clicking on the icon.

28. someone says:

The OS X binary offered is Intel-only. Are you having trouble building GTK-Quartz on OS X PPC?

29. Delles says:

Zeromus, I know that way (path settings), but I still can’t get how it’s work.

No matter how I change the setting, it’s still detect (and create .dsv as well) its’ defaults path settings (which is “desmume-0.9.5-win32″ folder).

Also, some of the settings is unclear for me, like what is “Lua” and “States” for?

Is that any forums or site explain that?

P/s The old 0.9.4 version save slot (.ds#) is incompatible with new 0.9.5 version, but .dsv does. So, if anyone want to switch save data between them, you need to save your game in in-game save then move .dsv file to “desmume-0.9.5-win32″ folder in order to use it.

30. Carlos says:

Muchas Gracias!

Thank so much!

31. doridori says:

Thank you so much for this release! Gonna try this instantly.

32. Soel says:

The OSX version acts weird. When i double-click on it, it bounces for a couple of seconds in the application bar and then closes immediately. Someone knows why?
    I’m using an Intel mac with OSX 10.4.11.

33. U8MYR!CE™ says:

WOW, a new improvement! 64-bit version are surely run faster and smoother that the 32-bit version. What happen to No$gba?? is he in jail or something?? f*cking bastard having been updating for years. I’m a new fan of DeSmuMe now. DeSmuMe can do everything now.
    DeSmuMe ROCKS!!!. Now it can play almost every game that have capability problem. It can also save state! and do things when other emulators can not. Now u have filters, yayy!!!

I hope you get Codebreaker working soon. You’re the runner up for the best DS emulator! almost there, keep it up DeSmuMe group!!!

34. Felipe says:

congratulations on the new release, i saw in the todo’s list that one of your targets is optimization, i hope you focus on it since the emulator is low to run the games i have here, thank you for your efforts in the emu and good luck. :)

35. zeromus says:

soel: The osx build may not work in your osx version. I can’t get anyone to test mac builds until I release them so congrats, youre the tester. We’ll wait and see if anyone else has that problem.

delles: no forum or site goes into the excruciatingly noob level of detail necessary to describe those. use your imagination. those are other files which the emulator needs which may be in other places. states are for savestate slots. quit running the emulator directly from the zip file and extract it to a directory on your hard disk.

someone: i dont have a ppc osx to make the build on in the first place. I cant imagine that any ppc mac runs fast enough to play desmume very satisfactorily anyway. the intel osx build is made using the gtk supplied here: http://www.gtk-osx.org/ ; I do not even know whether it includes ppc binaries. If it does, then you should successfully be able to make a ppc build comparable to the intel build. Alternatively you could explore http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gtk-osx/wiki/Bundle but I am really burnt out on it by now, I hate osx.

36. Dave says:

Wow, the OS X version just got ugly. Yay!

37. zeromus says:

Dave, the thrill of offending the aesthetic sense of osx users is what gets me out of bed every morning.

38. Anon says:

You know, Zeromus, that’s closed-minded, impolite, sadistic, and unfair. Find a new reason to get out of bed in the morning, rather than something only an immature fool would do.

39. Max G says:

I tried this version, almost all the previous ‘no boot’ games are playable.
    great jobs guys. so far only spot one major bug on the graphic side. the layers between the object/character’s shadow for most of the 3D games are confusely show. Those shadows are actually at the front of the character on the screen, cover the character’s lower body part. This is not a complaint, just for improvement purpose, simple bug report. Superb job done on the video and sound. :)

40. Dill says:

I saw that you are waiting for more people to test out the Mac version. I’ve got Intel mac OSX 10.4.11 as well, it wont start up, and the app looks like its missing something for it to run (the icon is the blank page with the ‘A’). that’s that best I know about programming, or at least on mac, hope I helped. Best of luck!

41. zeromus says:

max g, which games? some games are programmed so that the shadow covers the character partly.

42. René says:

i have downloaded the x64-version. but this version freeze my win7 x64 system after a while

43. Nut says:

Yeah, DeSmuMe is really the best emulator in the world! It had beaten ideas and no$gba! Keep it up!

44. Radar says:

In the view>render, which filter offer the best image quality?

HQ2XS is the best ? Am I right ?

45. Nut says:

Another strange thing I found is that I can open desmume.exe in Resource Hacker! That’s cool man!

46. shash says:

Nut: Hell, stop spamming. And opening it on resource hacker is useless if you’re not a loser that want’s to modify something easily done on code.

47. Onizuka89 says:

The GTK release to OSX is more to my liking :D more features that I also had on GNU/Linux.
    Anyway zeromus, do you know of anyway to set the emulator to save and load files from any other folder than the Desktop?

48. Spyke says:

thanks for all this hard work, guys:)

49. XBOX360 says:

My Xbox 360 controller acts like crazy :-(
    seems there are some problems on this version.